Wednesday, January 14, 2009

staying warm

Am I losing my option for my work to continue driving or am I waiting for the come back?

I called my IN dispatch today, he sounded doubtful.

I called my NC dispatch tonight, he sounded hopeful.

Am I going to stay here or leave again?

I have a plan, but am feeling so open to being in one place for a bit or continuing with the travel.

The truth is I've gotten used to it just as my option for it has began to change in major ways.

My time here in Indiana has been good, hellishly cold, but good. I've had many great opportunities to reconnect with old friends from the past and to hangout with some of my favorite people. There's been talk of xylophones and face paint, relationship stories that could entertain for hours, the continual drinking of tea and warm faces to share it with. The people i know amaze me.

My travel back to this place was a whole crazy bunch of problem solving though, you know the joys of travel add some flashbacks from the movie planes trains and automobiles. I try not think of that movie, but sometimes it happens. I was booked on a flight into Vegas the evening they closed the airport down due to a huge snow storm....but my luggage, with all my clothes went to Vegas and I went back to San Francisco. So I missed the only flight that week going to south bend the following morning. then back to the airport the next day to get my bag, which was still in Vegas, then back to sf, then finally bought a new flight for the following day and spent my third extra day in the city (in the same clothes), but could stand it no more. I then went and bought some fresh stuff to wear, and in that extra time met this awesome girl, who had opened a boutique in the city and we had some great conversation. Once into Vegas, i had a huge delay and in this time had a interesting talk with a marine about life and also learned a lot about life in the marines. Then on my way out of Denver was held up on the runway due to a flight on fire on the runway (but worded much more kindly for us passengers on board our flight), but eventually made it safely into Indy. Because of the rerouting of my flight, i was able to spend some quality time and a drive home for Christmas with my high school best friend. I was so jet lagged, but at least the adventure had a lot of positive extras. Being home was busy, but really important. This year was a special one for our family and I'm pretty thankful everything worked out for me to be home for it.

Now I am here. It's four degrees below outside my walls right now. I wake up and shovel loads of snow out of the drive way each morning. I get around and make tea, shower, and then find ways to get a lot done and be productive. sometimes just read, sometimes just write. I can imagine having a quiet cottage someday on the edge of a mountain or overlooking a calm lake, and going there to write, and watch the sun come up. a place to go to sometimes. a place to breath fresh air and make love. a peaceful place with a kind setting and a warm temperature.

I have to wrap this up now and get to some research.

goodnight dear friends. stay warm and safe out there tonight.

No comments: